Symbiotic Earth explores the life and ideas of Lynn Margulis, a brilliant, radical scientist, whose unconventional ideas challenged the male-dominated scientific community and are today changing how we look at our selves, evolution, and the environment.
Filmmaker John Feldman traveled globally to meet Margulis’ cutting-edge colleagues and continually asked: What happens when the truth changes? Symbiotic Earth examines the worldview that has led to climate change and extreme capitalism and offers a new approach to understanding life that encourages a sustainable and symbiotic lifestyle.
Symbiotic Earth is divided into 10 essays and an epilogue:
- How Lynn Margulis Coerced Me Into Making This Film
- How Science Gave Us Permission to Exploit the Earth
- Confronting the Neo-Darwinian Capitalistic Zeitgeist (aka: How Science Gave Us Permission to Exploit Each Other)
- Lynn Margulis’ Lifelong Quest
- Working Together (aka: How Did She Do it All?)
- Bacteria Run the Planet
- Symbiosis is the Way of Life
- The Cell (not DNA) Controls the Organism
- Evolution Through Mergers
- Gaia: A Physiological System on the Surface of the Earth